Over the course of the past year, I’ve read dozens of good (and bad) blog posts and news articles on social media, the field of public relations, and how the two are converging more each day. As 2010 comes to a close, I share with you a list of some of the best posts on the two that I’ve come across, so that you can read through and glean some information to take with you into 2011.
I compiled this list from an assortment of social media sites and personal websites that I frequent in my spare time. After you give these a read, head to the comments section and post an article or two that you found particularly useful. (Or if you want, ten is fine too.)
So here are my 10 picks for 2010’s top articles on social media: (in no particular order)
– Provides an intriguing look at the future of the social Internet, and how it will directly impact the landscape of the PR world. The author even provides a handy-dandy video to illustrate what Web 3.0 might look like.
– This article helps to put into perspective just how ignorant so many marketers are when it comes to properly using social media to reach their goals. Don’t know what “ROI” is? …Great reason to read the article.
– The presentation of this article is just flat-out cool. Lots of great, little-known information about SM here.
– Just like the title says. Many of us get so caught up in shoving our latest blog posts down our Twitter followers’ throats, that we forget there are countless other gifts we can share with our readers. This article brainstorms several ways to change up the pace of your tweeting.
– I like this article because it lists out various companies’ approaches to social media. This post would be especially helpful to someone recently put in charge of developing a social media policy for his or her company.
– Theories are one thing, but the proof is in the pudding. If you’re a “case studies” kind of person, this post gives you plenty — and then some!
– A solid read, all-around. Primarily focused with social media marketing, in terms of attracting more clients and measuring effectiveness of your SM efforts.
– Looking at things from the hiring manager’s point-of-view, this post details the essential traits that any social media director or community manager should have to supplement his or her skill set. Especially if you’re looking to get hired to do social in the near future, give this a read.
– Can’t make a list compiling the best articles in social media without mentioning mobile platforms. And yes, that title reads “triple-digit growth.” ‘Nuff said.
– I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: if you’re a professional working within the field of PR and you claim to “get” new media, you need to be on Linkedin. This article essentially serves as a jumping point for newbies, linking to dozens of other well-written articles that offer best-practice advice on fully utilizing all the site has to offer.
So, there you have it: my top ten choices for the best articles on social media of the year. Give them a read when you get a chance; I’m sure you’ll find something of value here.
And now, it’s your turn…
Share your thoughts: Are there any great articles that you didn’t see on my list? If so, share a link below.